Lots of work has happen over the weekend, and still continues! Every project always takes longer then expected, especially when you stand around in an aisle of Home Depot for half an hour deciding which trim to use around the fireplace. Below is how we left the fireplace on friday, with the old mantel off and ready for construction.
The guys have been working really hard this weekend, I tried to help out where I could, but this really is their project. By Friday evening the framing studs were up. We ended up using both 2x4s and 2x3s for the frame, and some clever cheating near the top as we started to run out of wood. It was exciting to see it go up so quick!
Next step was to add electrical so that we could add some overhead lighting to our shelves. My father has lots of experience with this, we just followed his lead. We actually found some unused electrical wires in the fireplace when we opened it up, so we decided to just use those for our new lighting. He added two outlet boxes near the top of the framing to hide the wiring for the lights from view. After the wiring, it was time to add the drywall. Several pieces were screwed into the sides and front of the wood frame.
Then the first layer of plaster was put on, giving it a much more finished look, minus paint of course. I'm really liking how it's turning out. It's quite impressive and modern looking. We are going to need a really big piece of art to hang over the fireplace!
Next step is adding the shelving, however, the design for the shelves is becoming more and more complex and wild! Can't wait to work on it and see how it will look. It's now going to involve some interesting angles, stay tuned! It will probably take us a little bit of time to complete them, but I will for sure be showing them off on here when they are done.
On a side note we also took down the venetian blinds from the front windows and I'm loving how much more light is coming in, and being able to look out. So many exciting changes, the house is starting to feel like OUR house!