We finished installing the new tiles for the fireplace this week. I love the vertical lines, and how they match the mantel. We actually used left over tiles my father had from a previous project he did in my parents place. They worked perfectly for us.
First, we had to remove the old tiles and glue with a chisel. Then spread a thick layer of fresh glue and carefully placed the tiles down with spacers to keep consistent spacing.
It took us forever to choose a design we liked with the pieces of tiles we had. We kept coming up with endless design possibilities. Eventually we found one that we all loved! I'm so happy with this design. I like the striking vertical lines that lead the eye up to the mantel (and eventually to the great art piece that will sit there).
After letting the glue dry for about a week, as it was very thick, we added the grout. The process was fairly straight forward. Just apply the grout making sure to press lots into all the cracks. Then wash the excess away with a sponge. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results, so much better than the blue/pink tiles that were there before!